Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Salvation of Pain

Hi all, I’m James Messina, brother of Danielle Sabey. We have all been invited to contribute to the posts on this blog so here I go with my first blog post. Wish me luck!

Today in stake conference (a large church meeting) I was reminded of a favorite talk of mine and so I thought that I would just share some of the reasons why I enjoy it so much.

The talk is one by Loren C. Dunn

He starts with an analogy of two trees in his backyard. One was planted close to a rich and frequent water source and so became a beautiful tree in that protected environment. The other tree was far from a consistent water source. It was exposed to the elements in a harsher way. It was forced to send its roots deep into the ground to obtain sufficient nutrients to survive. It was a large tree, though gnarly and tough. Here's my mental image of the situation:



One day, a great storm passed through, full of intense wind. The storm uprooted the tree that was close to the water source. Its roots were shallow, never having had to seek too far for water and nutrients. The second tree withstood the storm. It’s deep roots and firm constitution caused it to remain strong through the storm.

In reference to the tree that was planted in a more challenging environment, and therefore survived the storm, he says, “In the lives of each of us come these trials—trials of all kinds which shake us to the very core and cause us to explore to the very depths our ability to hang on…I see in many people this same kind of beauty. Adversity and trial have driven the roots of faith and testimony deep in order to tap the reservoir of spiritual strength that comes from such experiences. By nature they know how to stand and fight and hang on.”

I find this very meaningful. Especially since the trials in my life have caused me such pain and anguish, that I’ve often been lead to the mindset that I was better off before and that somehow I was being punished for no reason to suffer. Like a tree, I felt that I was growing better before I was moved to the harsh environment. I have been bitter and angry.

Actually, though, the trials in our lives are fantastic blessings! They are a blessing of sublime love from our Father in Heaven. For it is ONLY through difficulty and adversity that we obtain firm spirituality and conversion, thus being able to experience deeper and lasting joy. We don’t typically bring trials upon ourselves but God ordains and sends certain trials to us. All we have to do is remain faithful amidst the trial. Then, when the storm comes, we will be prepared. God prepares us.


I know that we all experience great trials in our lives that “shake us to the very core,” and for that I have great empathy. I only hope that we can find some peace as we realize that it is ONLY through those very trials that we deepen what we know and who we are. Every trial we receive is necessary for our salvation.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, James. Thanks for sharing your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I had to google "good timber," but I found the couplet. Nice allusion.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of developing integrity, empathy, character and faith through having to "dig deep."

    ReplyDelete