Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sigurd Cemetery/Welcome to the Blog


The cemetery in Sigurd, Utah is only about 100 square yards. Its biggest claim to fame is that it is the resting place of some Mormon pioneers, though none of them is well-known. Had I driven by Sigurd a few weeks earlier, I probably wouldn’t even have noticed the town, let alone stopped at its cemetery. Yet, in that moment, I stood by the Dastrup family plot, and felt the stirrings of something eternal. My wife, Danielle, is a Dastrup. Through marriage, the people buried in this quaint country graveyard were now my people. Their blood would flow in my children’s veins. This sense of intimate connection stood starkly in contrast with my previous ignorance and disregard for all things Sigurd.

I think this experience demonstrates something fundamental about the Gospel of Jesus Christ: We are invited to view others (and ultimately everyone) as family—intimately connected to us, and tied to our history and future. I see this in a simple way every Sunday when I attend a Mormon church in Belmont, MA and hear the members refer to each other as “Brother” or “Sister.” And it is not simply nominal. When Danielle and I first moved here from the West, we were happily surprised at how welcoming everyone was. Within the first few weeks, we had been invited to dinner, game nights, clam bakes, etc. Although we had never met before, these people welcomed us into their homes and into their lives as if we were visiting relatives. And we began to respond in kind. This last week, we received an email explaining that, after a period of remission, the leukemia had returned in the son of a couple in our ward. They asked for us to fast and pray in his behalf. We had never met this person, but we found ourselves fasting and praying for healing, comfort, and peace for this family. Our association with the ward connected us to the suffering of these people we hardly knew. But we sensed, at some level, that we were family, so we joined with them in fasting and prayer.

This intimate interconnectedness is intended not only for the “ward family.” Ultimately, we are invited to view everyone—classmates, colleagues, co-commuters, and counter clerks—as siblings: children of God and joint-heirs with Christ. I fall miserably short most of time, instead viewing these people like I used to view the Sigurd graveyard—quaint fixtures in the side roads of life, minor characters in the grand narrative of me. But there are moments that poke through my egotistical paradigm, and I stand once again in Sigurd cemetery and think, “These are my people.”


My marriage has already begun to urge me along this path in many ways. And that is, I think, the dynamic that made us want to create this blog. In some small way, we wanted to capture how the covenants we made when we were married have helped us look beyond ourselves and see others as intimately connected and related to us. One simple way we see this is in the new fellowship between Sabeys and Messinas. These two families that, before our wedding, would have passed each other in the road with nothing more than a polite wave, now know and love each other. Matt and James are roommates, Daniel and Emily might take a class together at BYU, and there is even talk about a Sabey-Messina ski trip one of these days. We feel like we are witnessing on a small scale the unity God intends for all His children: no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens in the household of God (Ephesians 2:19).

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm honestly touched by this! Isn't family a great thing?! I'm definitely bookmarking this and I can't wait for the Sabeyssina ski expedition!! Vancouver 2015:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the point about being no more stranger and foreigners! I feel like I don't know anybody as I walk around staring at random faces, but the truth is that I either already know those people better than I think, or I will know them as family yet to come. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Except before you were married I wouldn't have politely waved at Danielle. I would've hugged her and thought secretly, "I hope you marry David!"

    ReplyDelete